Ok so I put it to the fans of the Sweet Cheeks Beauty Page and asked them what they wanted knowledge, hints or tips with. One of my favourite responses was from my friend Jordan, she put forward something that soooo many of us struggle with; “My MakeUp always seems to come off as the day goes on how can I make it stay?”
So here’s my response and the main bit is nothing to do with make up …. It’s all in the preparation.
Here are my Top Tips for making your make up last all day:
1. Know your skin type and use a Skincare to suit it! This sounds so simple but you would be surprised how many people just think a cleanser is just a cleanser or it doesn’t matter what moisturiser you are applying. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune but its soooo important that you get it right, especially if your skin is slightly oily as this can often make make up slide throughout the day.
2. Keep your skin clean, exfoliated, moisturised and prepared! Clean well maintained skin allows make up to go on effortlessly. My friend who asked this question is like me a busy mummy, who has a lot to juggle so ill also have a blog come up on the 5 minute Skincare routine-keep your eyes peeled!
3. PRIMER PRIMER PRIMER! Primer is one of my personal fav must have products and also a product I sell the most of! It not only helps save on the amount of foundation you are using but creates and even and flawless base to apply it on to. Primer will literally cast new light on your regular make up easing application and helping stay put all day long.
I apply a base coat in every manicure I do, even on myself when I only have 5 minutes, this principal is no different, preparation = better results! I have a blog coming up covering just primers (and I will be reviewing lots not just the one I retail ;))
My top selling product the Arbonne Primer
4. Use BRUSHES! I REPEAT USE BRUSHES! These are tools of the trade and made for a reason, brushes help you apply product with a minimum amount and a flawless finish. I have over 30 brushes (it’s my job – well that’s my excuse!) but you only need the essentials. I would recommend; a good foundation brush, a powder brush, a blush brush, and two eyeshadow brushes (one smaller for definition) I would recommend a lip brush but in reality I know y’all ain’t using no lipbrush straight from the lipstick!
Sweet Cheeks Beauty Brushes (some of them) photograph Carla Guest Photography – she likes snapping my stuff!
5. Use the right foundation for your skin type, not because your friend or a magazine recommended it! If you’re oily, look for words like oil-free or mattifying. Got dry skin? Go for moisturising foundations. For combination skin, determine if you’re more oily or dry and go from there. Cream-to-powder bases work great for combination skin. Mineral foundations work well on all skin types, especially sensitive skin.
6. Use a Translucent setting powder. It’s simply a clear or very lightly tinted face powder that sets and mattifies your face without the added cakeyness (or coverage) of a coloured powder. Brush up against the tiny down hairs on the face (so up from chin to forehead) then brush back down in the opposite direction to set, this also helps blusher and bronzes blend without those dreaded blocked lines.
7. Ok so is your issues with eye make up? If so you need an eye primer there are some fabulous products on the market, I personally love NYX High Definition eyeshadow base but another very popular one is Urban Decay, that’s what I want to try next. It makes your eyeshadow last longer and prevents creasing in the lid. Also, it makes colors seem more vibrant and less translucent. But you have to apply and allow time to dry I normally apply, fan the eyes a bit and leave a minute or two before applying the eyeshadow.
NYX High Definition something I use on clients with slightly oilier lids or who tell me eye make up doesn’t last.
8. Making lips look luscious all day. I personally like applying lipstick all day, it doesn’t take two seconds and I like it looking fresh. However for long lasting lipstick throughout the day, Lip stains or lip fixes do work, they can be fantastic, but only on well looked after lips so a lip balm or conditioner is essential before hand and when you haven’t got any products on.
LOVE red lips – but must be correct tone and shade!
I know to completely fix it in place there are spray fix products you can buy, I can’t tell you how great these are because I haven’t myself tried one and if I’m honest I don’t need to. I use fantastic make up products and that for me is a key part in making my make up last, I go in stores and play with the testers not all of my make up is expensive but it is make up I research, read up on, read other people reviews and that I really like before I part with my pennies.
I hope this does help you in making your make up last, I love sharing all this stuff with you guys, I love that I could answer Jordan’s question and would love to answer yours so if you have any then hit me up either via Facebook, twitter, or post your comments below, be love.yto hear from you!